Captain Wally Schirra
Gemini, Apollo, Mercury,
one astronaut flew all three.
So I say, "Hurrah!
Captain Wally Schirra
As superb as a pilot can be!"
Gemini, Apollo, Mercury,
one astronaut flew all three.
So I say, "Hurrah!
Captain Wally Schirra
As superb as a pilot can be!"
Captain Wally Schirra is one of my brush with greatness limericks. I had the pleasure of seeing him and hearing him speak at an American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics conference in Denver in the spring of 1973.
I presented a paper at the conference and it did not go well. The bulb in the slide projector burnt out and my talk was delayed while another projector was rounded up. The slide tray from the first one did not fit the second so all the slides had to be transferred from one to another. After transfer, the slides ended upside down requiring another delay. I was so nervous after that that I gave my carefully rehearsed 5 minute presentation in about 3 minutes. My paper did not win a prize.
What a dreadful start to your career!
ReplyDeleteHope you had better luck as technology improved!
Neat you got to hear Wally Schirra speak!