Saturday, January 14, 2012

Never Was

Never Was

The fading meteor gives me pause
to recall past glory mostly because
It seems to me
that its better to be
a 'has been' than a 'never was'.

This limerick is about opportunity.  Taking the opportunity to try activities so that you can find things that interest you, give you joy, and hopefully that you may be good at.  

For me the opportunities that paid off were the swimming lessons and the trumpet lessons (not to mention my Olds Ambassador Trumpet itself).  Swimming lessons led to lifeguard certification and two summers as a lifeguard and swim teacher.  My trumpet got me through high school band and much later when I took it up again to opportunities to play in a brass ensemble and a community band. 

I did not have the opportunity to play organized baseball when I was young but I volunteered to help coach boys club and little league for my sons and enjoyed many seasons with them.  

I'm hoping that my kids enjoyed the musical and sport opportunities that we provided for them and can pass along joyful opportunities to the grand kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment